Saturday, December 13, 2008

HURRY!! The 2nd day...

Jeez maneez. It's already past 10 pm and I haven't done my post for the day! I need to hurry... and I realize now that my last post was a little heavy duty, but oh well. You get the good, bad and the ugly on this blog of mine.

On a lighter note tonight, I have been weighing a very heavy decision and I need some additional input. Okay, are you sitting? (You probably are, unless, of course, you read while standing.) Here's the dilemma: To Facebook or not to Facebook, that is the question.

I know many of you have FB accounts and all, but I just don't see the point. Won't I already be in touch with those people that I have cared to keep in contact over the years? Should I really go typing in their name in the search box then look through dozens, if not hundreds of names hoping that they've posted a half decent picture large enough for me to recognize their noggin? If they wanted to be found, or continue to be found, wouldn't they play the tennis game of -- I send you an annual Christmas letter and then lookee there! you send me one too? What a neat trick!!

My hubby T finally succumbed and created a FB account so he could browse his little sister's vacation pictures. It's now a FB monster! My sister sent some virtual Mexican food over and his cousin sent a virtual Christmas present to put under his virtual Christmas tree. STOP the Madness! I want some REAL Mexican food -- and so help me, that present better come with a real gift receipt.... uh-hem, excuse me. So, I've been a pretender lately. I log-in under T's name (of course he's shared his password, we have transparency in this home!) and snoop around his posts, pictures from other accounts and the likes. Would his FB friends be mad since they only approved T as a friend and not myself? Too bad, so sad. You get two T's for the price of one, like it or not.

I guess one issue at the heart of this stressful decision is --- I can barely keep up with the upkeep of my blog, personal e-mails, birthday cards, thank you notes, assignments at Church and homeschooling my 7 year old. What would happen if I then needed to update a FB account with posts, games, Flair, gifts, pictures and constantly finding new friends so I don't look like a complete loser when it lists my hubby as my only friend? Is everyone really talking to each other in a different room and I just haven't bothered to make my way over there? Please weigh in at the polls.

7 comments:

  1. This is a dilemma for me also, and I'm keeping it at arms length. I have actually had an account for a couple of years. The reason I started was to snoop on my kids. If they do something, I try to do it too to try to keep track of them. The problem is you have to know "their" password, (as you've found out) to be a total success at snooping! BEWARE: It is very addicting!!! and personally I have enough addictions (nothing serious don't worry). It is hard right now for me because there are so many active users in our ward that I enjoy. I'm trying turn a blind eye unless I actually get a message and I still get little niggles to go look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have you know I went straight to facebook right after I commented on your blog earlier! ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ahead and FB!! Don't be a looser! Be a lemming like the rest of us! But really, I too only FB to keep an eye on my kids. Even if you donn't have their passwords you can see the questionable stuff their friends send to the public wall instead of wall-to-wall. Silly teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I don't bother with flair. But it has been nice to reconnect with old college roommates I did indeed lose track of, and people I really liked hanging out with in college but lost touch with because I decided to enter the lonely state of matrimony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love FB just because there have been people who I have seriously wonderered about and it has been so much fun to get back in touch with them. As for all the personal sea creatures, mexican foods and green plants I just ignore them. I can't be bothered with that crap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Seester! We talked about this (like regular people....ON THE PHONE!)~what happened? What's changed? Why are you wavering? Don't do it! If you aren't the pillar on this....how I can possibly pretend to be! I can't add just this one more thing to my life right now....so YOU can't either! Be tough....it won't kill us....only make our phone calls more meaningful...okay maybe not, but still!~soap

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha I KNEW u were cruising FB with todd's account. your half way there. I think you just have that inner competitiveness and wonder if HE might end up with MORE friends than YOU. ha! jk. here is why i vote for fb. you can talk to people you wouldnt really wanna call on the phone, cus after hows the weather and the kids then it would be kinda a waste of time. but FB allows you to say HOLA and be considered a nice person for dropping a simple hello. u can spy on people (like me) and see what im planning for this weekend. (going to see the christmas lights at temple square, all my posts confirm that) You can be involved without having to be involved, the best kind of snoop there is. The uninvolved kind. You know, but u dont need to do anything about KNOWING! succumb to the power of FB!!! **djSADAmexx**

    ReplyDelete

Gimme some love!