
I don't think anyone needs to be told that the above picture is of a Girl Scout Samoa cookie. Mmmmmm. Chocolate, carmel, some toasted coconut....T could live off of these cookies. Focus, focus.
Tonight at our troop meeting (which was just a chance to load the girls up on sugar and let them run around, argh.) everyone was given a CONTRACT to sign -- allowing us to sell GS cookies. This thing was long and even included language about sending us off to collections if we didn't turn in our money, blah, blah, and making us promise not to sell any cookies before January 2, 2009. Are you kidding? What are they gonna put me in GS cookie jail?!
So, after signing my life away I started to think (notice the thinking came after signing? Hmm.) about their cookie selling strategy and thought "Those yo-yos! They have totally missed the boat on this cookie selling thing. They obviously aren't in touch with the common people." I thought they should put me in charge... because I don't have anything else to do. Here's why I think they've got it all wrong:
- We aren't allowed to sell cookies til after the New Year. WHO has money left over after Christmas?
- The New Year is when people start diets, not purchase boxes of cookies.
- If people want to simply make a contribution instead of buy cookies, they'll have to wait until the next year to get a deduction.
- I would have no problem serving GS cookies on a "bring a dessert" tray for a Christmas function, but not for Easter.
- I wouldn't mind giving/receiving multiple boxes of cookies during the holiday season.
- A couple of boxes would make a great $10 or under gift for the office party instead of, say, one of those Wal-Mart packages that get regifted.
Well. After getting up on my somewhat high horse I put some more thought into it all. (far too many brain cells wasted on this subject) People only sign up to buy cookies in January & February, but they don't actually get their cookies until March/April. I remember ordering some cookies a while back and then thinking -- "where the heck are those cookies?!" They have us all figured out. In January we count calories and in April everyone has fallen off the wagon with their diet and go from store to store to see if they can find a local GS troop to buy just one more box for the freezer. Except, it never makes it out of the parking lot. (Not that it's ever happened that way for me.)
So here I am breaking the rules (ooh I'm so sneaky) and saying "Let the ordering begin!" I will ship those bad boys to you if you can't find a sweet little sassy-mouthed GS in your neighborhood. You can always stick 'em in the freezer.
I'm always looking for a local GS for some cookies! Have M hook-me-up when she comes here . . . after the new year, of course!
ReplyDeleteI can NEVER find myself a Girl Scout, not to mention when it's cookie time. Sign me up. I love Samoas, Troy likes Thin Mints, and there are some peanut buttery ones we like, too. Let me know all the possibilities, and I'll order more.
ReplyDeleteMy first big foray with dishonesty involved GS cookies. I'M probably WHY they have the contract!!
ReplyDeleteI was in 2nd(?) grade and really, really, really, really wanted to be the top seller. Or at least get a patch. Or something. I don't remember what it was I wanted - but it must have been good because I started selling the cookies a few days early. You know, to get a jump on the market.
It all came crashing down when I knocked on the door of the District Leader (or whatever you call that lady) and she TOTALLY called me on the carpet.
I BAWLED for days.
I would love a box. Or two. Or three. I might even share them with my roommates. Nah, maybe just someone special. Or maybe not even him, whoever he is. I'd love to buy a few boxes from M. I'll send the money home or you can get it from my mom. That would probably be one of the best boxes a college kid could ever get. Especially if M, or you, included a note:)
ReplyDelete