Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Power of the Scriptures

M has been having a tough time in Primary since the beginning of this year. She is the only girl in a class with 5 boys. As we all know, boys can be quite rambunctious -- but, combine them with a high energy M and it's ... you know what it is. Luckily, they have a great teacher who is extremely patient, kind and has a great sense of humor. Sometimes the boys are in trouble, sometimes she is in trouble. Of course, being only 7 yrs old it is difficult for her to always understand her own role in keeping out of trouble. We're working on that... every single Sunday.

T & I could tell that the boys were starting to wear on her when she prayed about it the other night. She prayed for patience and prayed for them to be more obedient. Okay, not quite there, but she's praying about it and that's good. Friday morning when we were praying together she prayed about it again. Here's what went down after the Amen:

Me: Wow, M. I can tell that this "boys in class" thing is really bothering you. Do you want to talk more about it right now?

M: No, because if those boys don't start behaving I'm gonna bring my Holy Bible to Church.

Me: What are you going to do with the Holy Bible?

M: I'm gonna WHACK! some Jesus into them!!! (with whacking motion learned from "Whac-a-Mole" game)

Me (trying not to egg her on while failing miserably at my attempt to stifle my laughter!): Love, we don't WHACK! people with the Bible.

M: Okay, then I'm gonna bring my Book of Mormon!

After lots of hugs and laughs, we had a great conversation about how each of these boys is struggling, just like she is, at being reverent for three hours of Church meetings, having patience and being in charge of ourselves, not others.

I'm just grateful that she already knows the power of the scriptures.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. She is such a hoot. Thanks for the good laugh this morning! and the good example of parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that doesn't work she is more than welcolme to join our class...right now it's 2 boys and 3 girls and we'd love another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who-hoo Marmaduke! I knew that book was bigger for a reason, although I have a testimony of the BOM and am sure it weighs in just as well! She is toooo much! How can you NOT love her huh? I'm just glad she knows where to go for help.~soap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, LOVE this story!!! I've had classes where I wanted to WHACK some Jesus into some of the participants.

    I love her approach. And I'm glad that she's praying and recognizing that it will make a difference for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I just love it ... primary can be an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love that girl and her honesty. :D She really does have great original ideas sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Gimme some love!