Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Operator Error

I have been lusting after this little beauty for a while... may I introduce you to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi. "Hellooooo lover...." All 12.2 lovely megapixels and adjustable everything...

I have been NEEDING an SLR camera for some time now. I am done with my days as a point-and-shoot kind of girl. I want more power. I want to buy Adobe CS something-or-other for my computer and make really cool things like, like, oh - I don't know. Just beautiful photos would be good enough for me.
I used to think I was a decent enough photographer with my Nikon. Now that I've been following several blogs for a while, I've realized that I am nowhere near being able to be called a photographer. I am the lowliest picture taker around. My camera is set on "Auto" everything and I think I'm living on the edge when I turn off the flash. Light, composition and all that other fancy stuff eludes me. I am mostly trying to make sure that the subject in the viewfinder does not have something growing out of its head, food in its teeth or a funky hair standing up in the back.

And then I saw them. THE most beautiful photos I have ever seen taken of people. I mean, I can manage a satisfactory shot of a tree or flower, but not of a person. Her name is Veronica Reeve and aside from reading about her in a couple of dozen places online, my girlfriend had her take photos of her three darling children. Art. I'm telling you people. Art. You have to look at her blog and work website here. I am this (fingers nanometers apart) close to flying out to Utah just to have M's 8th birthday pictures taken. People like me with only one child often think about crazy things like that.... sometimes - and then are quickly jerked back into reality. I know that SHE does not have a point and shoot. "I want, I want, I need, I need."

Sooooo. I was thinking - how can I possibly take the trip of my life next month with such a junky camera? No one goes to see the Cinque Terre in Italy and takes pictures like this with a point and shoot! I need a REAL camera. By the way, yes, this is where we will be staying. Go ahead and hate me. I deserve it.
I have yet to convince T about my overwhelming need. He says that our camera is fine for us. It takes great pictures. I think this is because he picked it out (without me, but I'm not bitter) 2 years ago before a trip to California. Yes, it was an upgrade for us, but it only has 5 megapixels!

So in my effort to put up a good come back I decided to find some pictures on our computer to show him how our photos just don't measure up. This is what I found: Gorgeous pictures from the National Botanic Garden in D.C., Ketchikan Alaska & a tree in our front yard. All taken by T.

So, I've come to the conclusion that it's all operator error. I cannot take a good picture. He can, I can't. But notice -- there are no pictures of people. Now I need to convince him that the Rebel will take better pictures of people! That should be easier. Maybe.
p.s. What kind of camera do you use and do you have any fantastic picture taking tips for low light, flash free (ie museums) environments?

8 comments:

  1. I must confess that I too am a closet camera coveter. (oooo, three c's!!!). I too, think it will make all the difference in the world and I would be taking beautiful photos! I would probably end up putting it on "auto" also, defeating the purpose!

    T really does take some awesome pictures! I look forward to seeing some of your vacation pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask Duane. He is the camera operator in our fam. I am a spaz and cannot seem to hold still while I talke pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love--you take the video and I'll take the stills. Deal?
    -T

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so Cinque Terre is one of my favorite places in Italy. Maybe not one, THE favorite place. We got kicked off the train getting there. We stayed with Mamma Rosa and we loved, loved, loved it. You are going to have so much fun. And yes, you NEED that SLR camera (sorry T). We just bought ours a few months ago and cannot live without it. Get it now though so that you can learn a few things before you go. Just do it. What's up with making me miss Alaska with the great pics?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe! I have no idea why that camera is so special~but I looked at homegirl's site and you definitely need one so you can start booking Todd's weekends,then you can take a crazy great vacation EVERY year! wu-who!!!! DO IT!n' don't forget,you may have a "talent,but that's not necessarily the same as a gift" Me muero! ~soap

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you want to take low light flash free pictures, you need to increase your f-stop-in layman's terms-you're increasing the time that your shutter stays open to allow the color to have time to absorb and what not-the only issue with doing this it that your pictures are much more susceptible to being blurry because the longer the shutter's open, the more still you have to keep the camera. But a tripod too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for a camera upgrade. You need one. NEED ;). It makes all the difference.

    With a DSLR you can adjust the aperature, the shutter speed, the ISO - gotta be able to do that for fantastic photos of people.

    Not that I know exactly what I'm doing with my camera, but it has made a difference.

    For real.

    And more important than the camera body is the lens. It's all about the lens. You can get an older DSLR body (like the nikon D70) for a fairly reasonable price these days. Save the big wad of cash for an upgraded lens.

    We should talk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I think you need one, too....but that's not going to convince T is it? It's easy to spend someone else's money! I have a point and shoot canon powershot SD870 IS. It's great, I get fantastic macro pictures -especially with natural light, but I don't think it's all that hot in dimmish lighting (like museums) without flash. Good luck with your hunt!

    ReplyDelete

Gimme some love!