Wednesday, May 28, 2008

An "F" for Effort

I am a little bit prideful about one thing. (I can hear your chuckling) I'm pretty proud of my laundering skills. No, not money laundering, clothing. I pride myself in taking really good care of my family's clothing. It's not because we spend a lot of money on our clothes, but for another reason. I need our clothing to last as long as humanly possible so I don't have to go and buy more. Actually, T and M can have clothing right off the rack inexpensively, but for me it's a huge investment in time and money to find something that fits. So when I find something that finally fits I have to take really good care of it. I read the labels religiously. Yes, I'm a nerd. Lay flat? You've got it? Hand launder? I will freeze my little fingers. But this isn't about clothing. Read on if you dare.

Recently I took down M's cloth outer shower curtain to give it a good wash in the machine. I love this shower curtain simply because it cost more than I would normally spend on anything for a bathroom and I don't want to spend the money to replace it. I was hesitant because I didn't want the curtain to get that faded "I've been washed a million times" look. So, using my superior laundering skills I placed the curtain in our new washing machine and, of course, placed it on cold/delicate since isn't that what you wash something in when you want it to not shrink, shred or fade? In 32 glorious minutes it was done. Okay. Now how to dry the darned thing. I search for the tag, because I ALWAYS read the tags, and I came up with the following:
Wha? Come again? Oh, excuse me. You mean to tell me that you know what these symbols stand for? You lie. What happened to the regular four line description of "Wash in blah blah blah, tumble on blah blah use a blah iron if needed"? Have companies really become so cheap that they cannot use a bigger tag instead of the 1" x .75" one they used on my shower curtain?

Apparently there must have been a scheduling conflict at mommy school. While I was in my Red Cross class learning infant/toddler CPR and First Aid to satisfy the State's requirement to keep M in my home (I'm not lying, that's true) there was a "How to Decipher Laundry Labels" class going on at the same time that I didn't get to. Phooey! I'm not kidding, when and where was I supposed to learn these symbols? Did you know that
means "Drip dry - hang wet on plastic hanger and allow to dry with hand shaping only"?!?! What if I don't OWN a plastic hanger? I'm toast.

So! Since I want to save you the stress of standing in your laundry room with a dripping wet shower curtain I give you the cheat sheet of your dreams. Maybe you won't fail mommy school like me.


6 comments:

  1. O.K. that is hilarious. Maybe they did the symbols so they didn't have to put so many different languages on the tag. The label would be the size of your shower curtain itself! At any rate I am sure you have the symbol chart laminated and hanging in front of your new washer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, first of all, to a college student the idea of owning a shower curtain is foreign. But to actually have the 1)idea and the 2) time to wash it is ludicris. sigh it's great to imagine that one day I won't be worrying about my roommates three week old pile of dishes in the sink and worrying about how to wash a shower curtain.

    BTW. Isn't the internet great! I love the fact you can find the answers to the questions you never asked before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh T, how different we are. When I buy clothes, if it can't survive wash and wear it doesn't survive my home! (okay, that is a little exaggerated, I do baby my SUNDAY clothes a little tiny bit!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toooo Funny! OK washing the shower curtain is good but your going a little overboard! If it doesn't survive it 's a sign! Time to change the whole theme(This is how to get away with all the new purchases)Anyway thanks for de-codeding the symbol chart--Taught your mom something new!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you are a complete nerd. I need friends who do this kind of research so I don't have to. But I have to ask, was the curtain really that dirty? Do all these people know that you are a super overboard toothbrush kind of clean freak gal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi T,
    So i secretly read your blog, I feel like it's a secret if I don't comment on anything, so I thought I'd better say hey. You are too funny and I love your posts. You are the cleanest, most organized person I know. I still remember you telling me that you don't lose M's little toys, like barbie shoes, because you put them all in their special tupperware things. You go girl!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Gimme some love!