Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Keeping Promises

Even though I'm not officially blogging, I had an experience with M this evening that was too good not to put down -- somewhere.

We had just left the house so I could get a workout in today, when it started to rain. Those darn summer clouds always come in and although I'm grateful for the rain, I always roll my eyes because I know it's going to be more humid afterward. Tonight it did not simply rain. It DUMPED for about 6 minutes then the sun started to come out while it was still raining.

Immediately M started to talk at lightning speed. "Mom, I bet there will be a rainbow! I remember when I first saw a rainbow.... Remember God gave a rainbow to promise.....help me look for a rainbow!" Uh-huh. Yes, I remember -- I'm trying to watch the road. And then I spotted a great rainbow to the East. The colors were not very vibrant, but it was definitely there. "M! Look over there-- it's a rainbow!" This is what happened next:

At the top of her lungs: "OHMYGOODNESS! OHMYGOODNESS!! Look mom - it's sooooo beautiful. Thank you! Thank you for finding it! Look! It's just like I remember it when we were flying in the plane and I saw the rainbow outside of my window...."
"Yes love, I remember."
"Turn off the radio. Turn it off, hurry!" -- without thinking I turned it off.
"Dear Heavenly Father, thank you, thank you, thank you for the rainbow! It is sooooo beautiful!! You make beautiful rainbows and I think that this is as pretty as the one I saw when I was in the plane. Thanks for keeping your promise that you made to Noah, 'cause I really don't want to die in a flood. My mommy would cry, I think. Bless mommy that she'll drive safe in the rain and help me to always keep my promises like you do...I love you soooo much!" And then she ended her prayer.

I'm so grateful she can always see the hand of the Almighty in her surroundings. She takes care of the ants on my walkway, worries about the trees cut down for development and can even find the promises of God being kept during a storm.

11 comments:

  1. That is one of the sweetest things I've read. Miranda is awesome, but you already know that.
    My kids frequently make me stop and smile. I'm so thankful that I have them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this made me cry. What a beautiful experience. See you have to keep blogging! After reading this it reminded me of moments I have had with my children like this. M is amazing! Last night when we were at Delano's b-day party at Chuck E. Cheese Vai kept asking where she was. He misses her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats our Miranda!Such a sweet spirit that has been taught soo well by her mom to recognize the lords hand in every thing and be grateful..Good Job Mom! keep blogging..so we can enjoy reading and feeling apart of your little familys life, if even from afar ~Mom E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome story.
    Makes me sad I don't see her that often. =(
    Blast it!
    I miss all my nieces and nephews!
    Working where I do, does not help either!
    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are both blessed to have each other! I have seen very few rainbows in MD. In Utah, with the great open skys, yes. Here, it is truly a miracle. NEAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sneaking a peak at your blog! If you had a counter you'd be surprised how many of us are "stalking" you. I am guilty of jumping all around people's blogs I barely know. So fun to learn about people's lives! So you've had adoption on the brain eh? I vote yes (if only it were that easy, right?!) You guys are awesome parents and M would be the cutest sister ever!
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya, I am so glad you have a blog! For several months now I had been thinking, I wish the Hugheses had a blog because it would be so great to read and keep up with you! I am glad I found it. Thank you for sharing M's experience. I miss all of her little comments. Please keep in touch and if you want our blog sight, it's on Haleigh's! We'd love to have you for a visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was awesome. I don't even have any dry remarks to add. She's wonderful. So's God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miranda is amazing. This is definitely a treasured memory. Aren't you glad you worote it down? Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, this is why you must keep blogging. I love reading about my sweet M and the special things she does. Being so far away from her is hard, and with you writing about the things she does, well it brings her and you and T closer to me. I can share in your lives this way. Please my love, please don't stop. You have a beautiful talent with words. Mom J

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a good girl! You should write a book, you've obviously got it all figured out. Zoe only uses prayer as manipulation right now. When it's time for a nap and she's not ready to go down she folds her arms, looks up at me with puppy dog eyes and says, "Pwaew?" Stinker.

    ReplyDelete

Gimme some love!