When you're the oldest girl (and #2) in a family of eight kids it's inevitable that you'll end up being mommy #2. I think my mom would agree. I think (in my own world of memories) that I played right hand man to my mom for a while, helping with the kids that were younger than myself. (My next closest sibling was 4 years younger.) I think that's how it should be. Maybe that's why when M came into our home I didn't freak out about how to care for a little one. That was an unexpected fringe benefit to those years of being around all of my siblings. What I didn't expect was the sense of responsibility for my siblings AFTER I left home and even since they've become adults. I'm always grilling them about their plans and hold what I call "BSIs" - Big Sister Interviews. I know they all dread when I call. I would too. Noone wants to be interviewed or interrogated. It's so hard to stop...the sense of responsibility is overwhelming. I hope they know it doesn't come from a place of meddling, but a place of love and true concern. They are attached to me, each holding a place in my tiny little heart.
This is why when my "baby" brother and sister joined the military a few years ago I had a royal fit. Don't get me wrong - I love and appreciate the military. Most of my friends here are in the military. I just, I just,
just....ugh. I knew they would be deployed (not if, but when) and didn't think I could handle knowing they'd be in harms way for 15 months a piece. So, yes, they're both deployed in Iraq in different areas and are coming up on their year mark soon. My baby sister has come home for her R&R already and my brother is on his way in August and I'll get to see him bless his new baby that he has never met. (Rip out your heart strings. I know it happens all the time, this time it's personal.)
just....ugh. I knew they would be deployed (not if, but when) and didn't think I could handle knowing they'd be in harms way for 15 months a piece. So, yes, they're both deployed in Iraq in different areas and are coming up on their year mark soon. My baby sister has come home for her R&R already and my brother is on his way in August and I'll get to see him bless his new baby that he has never met. (Rip out your heart strings. I know it happens all the time, this time it's personal.)
So! when I received a message that my brother was able to see my sister for a brief visit for the first time, it did my heart good. Seeing pictures gave me that bolstering I needed to believe that they are both well. I love technology! Part of my heart is in Iraq. Part in California. Part in Utah. Wisconsin. Germany. Idaho. Minnesota. Jordan. Italy. Texas. It's where you are. Each of you are part of me in some way or another and I thank you for it. My heart is in better health for knowing you.
I think I am entitled to make a comment about military service; my husband retired 9 days ago after a total of 38 years. I am incredibly proud of him, and his service. I am proud that he is a Viet Nam veteran.
ReplyDeleteI understand the cost of freedom. In addition to my husband's service, my older brother died in Viet Nam almost 41 years ago.
BUT.
No father should have to be away from home when his baby is born.
No family should have to have TWO members in harm's way at the same time.
No soldier should be expected to be in a combat zone for more than 12 months, and only one tour of duty there.
As strongly as I feel about those statements, I am grateful for the service of your brother and sister. I thank them for being willing to do things they should not have to do.
I pray they will both return home soon, permanently, and in good health physically and mentally.
They are prayed for.
Even though I remember being IN CHARGE (that must have been when you grew up and had other things to do...)I'm grateful for those strong ties (however they were formed) that connect all of us. I have to second the emotion that it also did me good (choked me up a bit)to see Pro n' Baby looking so good; and more than anything just...together! They're still my little brother n' sister~and while I'm proud and grateful that they're doing what I couldn't; part of me~no...most of me,wishes they were home;safer and closer. Even if I'm close to a lot of my siblings distance-wise, it doesn't make up for the few who've "strayed" (you all know you should be in California with the rest of us;so don't even start! Keep it on the west coast at LEAST people!)I was happy for the pic too...warmed my heart and did me good...kinda like.....soup.:)~soap
ReplyDeleteI loved to see this picture. I can't believe how much "Pro" looks like your dad with that stash!. Even though technically we aren't family I still in some ways feel very much a part of yours. I am glad to see your brother and sister are safe. I am so proud of them for what they are doing and hope they hurry home soon!
ReplyDeleteFor the record, Isaac shaved his 'stache that day -thank goodness! He's taking a mini-vacation right now, living it up on some romote beach in the middle east. He's sure to go back to work happy and well rested, ready to stick it out until R&R.
ReplyDeleteThanks for thinking of me.
ReplyDelete