Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Harder Than the Fall

When I first heard of Ruthie Foster on NPR (National Public Radio) in 2007, she had just released her newest album (CD?) "The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster." I don't remember who did the interview, but I do remember that I pulled over in to the closest parking lot to listen to the rest of the hour long interview because she was also singing tracks from her new album live, in studio. I scribbled her name on the thing closest resembling paper and bought the CD that same day. If it had been a vinyl record I would've needed to buy a new record after about a month.

Ruthie's (See? We're on a first name basis--we go wayyyy back!) style is backwoods country, blues, funk, gospel -- soul. Pure soul. She has a vocal range that most people would die for all while deftly navigating the various styles of her repertoire. While she was signed on with a major label, it was obvious that she would never be a 'cookie-cutter' pop-singer. How incredibly unfortunate since now her musical talent is relegated to small venues of adoring fans. I wish others could open their minds just wide enough to recognize a gift of honest music. You don't have to want to go out and buy the CD, but good music leaves you better for having listened with your whole being.

You know how sometimes you hear a song that rocks your insides so hard that it feels as if you've just had the wind knocked out of you? This is one of those songs that leaves me feeling as if I've just finished running a marathon, physically & emotionally. It might not do the same for you, but that's okay. This song/video is dedicated to the person out there that will understand its message -- that sometimes getting back up IS harder than the tragedy of falling and being hurt. Maybe it's you?

Enjoy! (the actual singing starts around 1:15)



The title song "Phenomenal" is another of my favorites. I think all young women/ grown women should be required to memorize the words of this song. Sorry, I couldn't find a video link, but here is a link to the audio: Phenomenal

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Her voice is soul piercing and her song just made me cry while i sit at work. thanks for sharing.

    *duds*

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! Love'um both~good picks Seester! If you'd jus' open your mouth and let it out.....she's not THAT much better than I remember your voice being! That's real talk....but she's okay too :) Thanks for sharing her.....with those of us who don't quite "get" NPR on our stations! ;p

    ReplyDelete

Gimme some love!